Nov 19, 2016

Not spending a penny for 300 days: An experiment

Control of household and discretionary spending is a crucial step for relationships and lifelong success. I want to share my transformative journey with you. I experienced a paradigm shift after making the decision to buy any non-necessary item for myself for 300 days.  

The idea to start this journey came to me while reading an article on minimalist living by some modern Japanese families. Initially, the journey did not originate from the idea of saving money but rather to learn self-control and appreciation of those things that bring value to my life.  Moreover, I was also moved by another article that addressed over consumption and the pressure placed on the environment. The mountains of trash accumulated in our daily lives and the resources used to produce goods and services have an irreversible impact on earth.


I began by restricting myself from buying shoes and clothes. This step forced me to look for old clothes in my wardrobe where I found many blouses and pants those weren’t worn from a long time. To my surprise that I found myself in a pile of clothes, a few of which I have not worn even once. I became aware of the valuable items that I already possess and was determined to put them to good use. The pile of unused outfits exhibited my insatiable quest for buying things without even knowing the utility of those items.  Next, I decided that I would not buy cosmetics (lipsticks, nail paint, eye liner and toiletries). I had an ample supply of that would last over 300 days without a need to purchase additional shampoos, conditioners, soaps or lotions. This was an example of how consumerism can become addictive.
I admit that I had a strong impulse to buy items that were appealing to my eyes such as a nice looking graphic t-shirt on sale. After starting my journey, I began to ask myself, “Is it a “nice-to-have” thing or a necessary thing?” When the answer was “nice-to-have” I continued along my way without purchasing that item.

I realized that nothing changed when I made the decision not to buy that item. My health, my daily life and above all happiness were not affected by saying no to the purchase.
After practicing this concept for four months, I realized that how consumerism can lead to compulsive shopping where I would purchase of things that I did not need. I found myself driven by the advertisements, coupons and sales to make buying decisions not based on need but a superficial desire.  The compulsory behaviors lead to an accumulation of non-necessary items or junk where I spent an enormous amount of money to follow trends. This was a vicious circle the resulted in an increase desire to purchase more things of the same variety.

 
The sad truth is that consumerism can lead men and women to measure success by the amount of money spent but not the overall value of the purchase. Instead of focusing on usefulness, people may become fixated on having things, whether or not the things contribute to healthy relationships and a stable life.



My goal for this winter holiday season is to use my energy, time and money for the people and causes that are important to me. Furthermore, I will develop a plan to divest myself of the desire of having more and seeking happiness from external things. I have discovered during this journey that happiness is not born from things you buy but those you care about.

Share:https://redd.it/5dw0nv

No comments:

Brain Based Learning

Neuroplasticity is ability of our brain to change and restructure itself which enables us to learn and adapt. This enables our brain to make...